As this New Year gets underway, the Coalition remains committed as ever to securing competitive wages for direct support professionals (DSPs) in New Jersey. The ongoing pandemic has only further highlighted the critical role of DSPs in our state, and continued investment by lawmakers is needed to bring compensation in line with the high-level of responsibility and skill needed for the job.
As part of our advocacy for higher DSP wages, the Coalition wants to put the faces of our state’s DSPs front and center on our social media pages. It is important policymakers see and hear from the dedicated DSPs who spend their days enriching the lives of others across the Garden State.
Here’s what to do to make your voice heard:
…if you are a DSP:
Text (609-577-1993) or Email (email@example.com) a picture of yourself with the following suggested information:
- Your name (first name only)
- How long you’ve been a DSP
- A short message that you would like included with your picture. This could include why you love the job; what your typical day looks like; or a list of your duties and responsibilities.
…if you are a Provider or Family member
Text (609-577-1993) or Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) a picture of your staff member with the following suggested information:
- DSP’s name (first name only)
- How long the DSP has worked for your agency/family
- A short message about the DSP (what makes the DSP essential).
…if you are a Self-Advocate
Text (609-577-1993) or Email (email@example.com) a picture of you with your DSP or just your DSP along with the following suggested information:
- Include DSP’s name (and your name too, if you’re in picture)
- How long the DSP has worked with you
- A short message about the DSP (what the DSP means to you).
We need as many pictures as possible, so please take two minutes to participate and help spread the word! Please do not hesitate to contact Libby Vinson at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Thank you for your ongoing support! It matters and means a lot.